Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Currently Reading

Sometimes people ask "what are you reading?" Sometimes. Or sometimes, as it might be obvious from that list, I ask myself "What am I reading?"
Or , "Where is that book I was reading?"
It's not a list of books I have not finished. Only books I have picked up in the last week are included in the list. Some of the books might be on the list for a while. Both the Raymond Carver and Lydia Davis collections are large-- career spanning. I could not, and it would not do their work justice, cruise through this in a two weeks or a month. The Ha Jin will be there for a few more days; I read half of it on one sitting. "Grave Peril" will be there a week, at most. It's entertaining and fast, perfect for late at night when concentration wanes.
The novels I leave scattered around my house and various bags (computer bag and shoulder bag, man-purse if you must). I pick them up when on a whim and knock off a bit here and there. I am almost positive that Chute's novel will be finished first even though it was the last started. Her feel for character and place are thoroughly compelling. I want to read it slow to luxuriate in her world and fast to find out what happens.

No comments: